English The Easy Way
Everyone Can Learn English!!!!!
Phone Phrases - Speaking
Common Telephone Phrases
- Hi - Hello - Hello, how are you?
- good morning - good afternoon - good evening
- This is .... (give your name)
- This is ....( give your name, from (state place, or company).
- Hello this ...(give your name)
Requesting Someone -
- Can I please speak to .... (give the person's name)
- I would like to speak to...(give the person's name)
- Is ....(give the person's name) available.
- Is it possible to speak to ....(give the person's name).
- I need to speak to ....(give the person's name)
When the person you are trying to call is unavailable
- May I leave a message, please?
- Do you know when he/she will be available?
- Do you know when he/she will return to the office/home?
- I will call back later/in an hour/tomorrow.
- Please tell him .....(give your name) called, and I will call later/call again.
- Please have him/her call me back.
- Can I leave my telephone number? My phone number is.....(give your number)?
- Please have him/her contact at ......(state a place or a phone number).
- Where/How can I reach him/her?
- What is her/his mobile phone number/cell/cellular phone number?
- May I send you a fax?
- What is your fax number?
- Did you receive my fax?
- I send a fax to..... (give person's name), did he. she receive it?
Asking for Information
Other Useful Telephone Phrases/Words
- The number is busy.
- My I hold on the line.
- I sorry can't hear you.
- I sorry I can't understand you.
- Please speak slowly, I am having a difficult time understanding you.
- Who am I speaking to?
- Who is calling?
- The line was disconnected.
- Please connect me to ....(give the name or the person, or the extensions)