What is the difference between "that" and "which"?
That - "That" is used with restrictive phrases. Restrictive phrases are phrase. that are essential to the sentence.
Which - "Which" is used with non-restrictive phrases. Non-restrictive phrases are phrases that state non essential information. A phrase is considered non-restrictive phase if the phase can be omitted from the sentence.
- The shirt that you lent me is in my bag.
- The shirt, which is red, is in my bag.
- The house that I wanted to buy has been sold.
- The house, which I didn't want to buy, has been sold.
- The food store that I go to all the time is closed today.
- The store, which is near my house, is not open today.